1 Muslims, with the intention of travelling 106 kilometres or more and intend staying at their destination for less than 15 days, must shorten their Salaah.
2. The Fard of Zohr, Asar and Isha Salaah is shortened from 4 to 2 Rakaah.
3. The number of Rakaah in the Fard of Maghrib and Fajar Salaah will remain the same and not be shortened.
4. The number of Rakaah in the Sunnah and Nafil Salaah (the other Salaah) will also remain the same.
5. If the “Musaafir” or traveller is in a hurry, he can leave out the Nafil Salaah. However, it is better that he performs it.
6. This shortening of Salaah on a journey is called “Qasr”.
7. When the Musaafir reads behind an Imaam who is not a Musaafir, then the Musaafir should follow the Imaam during the entire Salaah. He must not shorten his Fard Salaah.
8. If the Imaam is a Musaafir, he should notify the Musallies before the Fard Salaah that he is a Musaafir. What should the Musallies do? As soon as the Imaam completes his Fard Salaah (Remember, that he has shortened his Salaah), and reads the Salaam, the Musallies must stand up after hearing the first Salaam and complete their last 2 Rakaah. The Musallies should not read Surah Fatiha in these last 2 Rakaah but remain silent as much as the time it takes to read Surah Fatiha. The Musalli must then complete his Salaah with Salaams.