1. The word “Aqeeqah” in Arabic means, “the hair on the head of a new born child.”
2. In Islamic Shariah, ( Islamic Law), Aqeeqah means to sacrifice an animal on the seventh day after the birth of a child.
3. Sayyiduna Rasulullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) has instructed us to give Azaan in the right ear and Iqaamah in the left ear of a child that is newly born.
4. It is also Mustahab to name the child on the seventh day and to shave the child’s hair.
5. The Aqeeqah for a boy is 2 sheep or goats and for a girl, is one sheep or goat.
6. After the child’s hair has been shaved, silver or its value in money should be given in charity.
7. The meat of the Qurbaani can be eaten by all members of the family, friends and relatives.
8. If one is not able to make Aqeeqah on the 7th day, then one is allowed to make Aqeeqah when one is able to afford it.