When a Muslim is in the last stages of his or her life, those present should read Surah Yaseen, Surah Ra’ad and the Kalimah Shahaadah in order to ease the pangs of death for the person. We must also urge, and not force, the person to read the Kalimah. When the person has passed away, the family members should immediately organize Ghusal and Burial affairs. (Ask your Imam/teacher to explain or demonstrate to you how the Ghusal of a Mayyit is performed).
Salaatul Janazah is actually a Du’a that is made on behalf of the dead person. Salaatul Janazah is Fard upon all Muslims who have knowledge of the Janazah or funeral. While the Imaam reads out the Takbeer aloud, we should repeat them silently.
Fard of Salaatul Janazah
There are 2 Fards in Salaatul Janazah:
1. To stand and perform Salaah (Qiyaam).
2. To read all the 4 Takbeers.
Note: If one does not know what Du’as to read after each Takbeer, one can still join the Janazah Salaah and read the Takbeers softly.
The Manner of making Salaatul Janazah
1. The body of the Mayyit should be placed with its right side facing the Qiblah.
2. The Imaam should stand in line with the chest of the Mayyit when leading the Salaah. This also means that the head of the Mayyit will be to the right of the Imaam.
3. It is also Mustahab to make an odd number of Sufoof (Safs) or rows. However ,if there are a large number of people, then there is no need to follow this rule.
4. After the Safs are straight, everyone should make the Niyyah.
5. After the first Takbeer, everyone should read the Thana.
6. After the second Takbeer, you should read the Durood-e- Ebrahim which is: The same as read in Salaah.
7. After the third Takbeer,
A. FOR AN ADULT: (the prescribed Dua)
B. FOR A BOY: (the prescribed Dua)
C. FOR A GIRL: (the prescribed Dua)
8. After the fourth Takbeer, the Imaam will read the Salaam.
9. You should not raise your hands after each Takbeer but repeat the Takbeers silently.
10. After the Salaatul Janazah, it is recommended that you make a Du’a for the Mayyit.
Late-Comers for the Salaatul Janazah
It is permissable for a person to make Tayyamum if he fears that he will miss the Janazah Salaah. This rule only applies for Janazah and Eid Salaah. If a person is late and joins the congregation after the Imaam has already read a few Takbeers, then he should join the Imaam for the next Takbeer. After the Salaah, he can read the Takbeers he missed by merely saying “Allahu Akbar” softly for every Takbeer he missed. He is not permitted to read any Du’a after the Takbeers.