Almighty Allah states in the Holy Quran: “O You who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, so that you may learn self-restraint.” (2:183)
1. Fasting in the Month of Ramadaan is Fard upon every Muslim male and female, who are Muqeems and are physically fit.
2. Fasting not only means to stay away from all food and drink, but also from all sinful activities from dawn till sunset.
3. It is necessary to make the Niyyah of Fasting before Fasting. The Niyyah can be said with words or made in one’s heart.
4. If a person forgets to make the Niyyah at the time of keeping Fast, then he or she should make the Niyyah before Zawaal.
5. It is also a great Sunnah to make the Sehri in the morning.