1. FARD – This is to Fast in the Month of Ramadaan.
2. WAAJIB – To keep Fast for the fulfilment of a vow or oath.
3. SUNNAH – To keep Fast during the 9th and 10th of Muharram, the 9th of Zil-Hajj, and the 13th, 14th and 15th of every Islamic month.
4. MUSTAHAB – To fast during any 6 days of Shawaal, the 15th of Shabaan, and to fast every Monday and Thursday.
5. MAKROOH – For a wife to keep Nafil Fast without the permission of her husband.
6. HARAAM – To keep Fast during both the Eids, and the 11th, 12th and 13th of Zil-Hajj.