The following is taken from Session 1 (Faith) of the Anees ul-Arwah–The Malfuzat of Khwaja Uthman Haruni (rehmatullahi alyhe)–as recorded by Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti (rehmatullahi alayhe)
Then the khwaja (master), may God have mercy on him, said “I saw written in the Umdat us-Suluk of Junaid Baghdadi, may God have mercy on him, as related by khwaja Yusuf Chishti, may God have mercy on him, that when Allah, Exalted is He, said “Alastu Bi Rabbikum (Am I Not Your Lord)”, all the spirits, believer and non-believer, were immediately divided into four categories:
- Those spirits that on hearing their Lord’s call fell into sajdah (prostration) replying with heart and limb, “Balaa (Indeed)!”
- Those that made sajdah but didn’t do so with any sincerity.
- Those that believed sincerely with their hearts only.
- Those that didn’t care to reply–neither with heart nor limb.
The khwaja, may God have mercy on him, then clarified each category.
The spirits that replied Balaa (Indeed You are our Lord and Sustainer!) with heart and limb (in prostration), became Prophets (upon them all be peace), Saints, and sincere believers. The second category that said balaa but without any sincerity are those Muslims who forsake their religion on their death-beds. The third category that said nothing but sincerely meant it are those who were disbelievers but later turned to Islam. The last category who didn’t say anything nor have any sincerity to accept the call are those who live and die as disbelievers.
After articulating all of this, the master became engrossed in his dhikr (remembrance of God) and the one in need of his prayers returned to where he came from–all praises to God for that (lesson).
- Hadrat Baba Farid al-Din Mas’ud Ganj-e-Shakar Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anho | 5th MuHarram (madinasharif.wordpress.com)
- The Life History Of Hazrat Shaikh Makhdum Ali Al Mahimi (Qutb-e-Kokan) rehmatullahi alaih (madinasharif.wordpress.com)
- A Call For Justice by Hazrat ‘Allama Maulana Arshadul Qadri rehmatullahi alaih (madinasharif.wordpress.com)