ALLAH – beginning with the name of the Most Affectionate, the Merciful.
Translation from AlaHazrat radi allahu anhu’s “Kanzul Iman” Tafsir from Mufti Ahmed Yaar Khan Naeemi radi allahu anhu’s “Noor Ul Irfan”
* In that one of the major signs of the Day of Judgement, the splitting of the moon has taken place.
* In this verse, reference is made to one of the major miracles of the Holy Prophet Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam, i.e. the splitting of the moon. Its summary is as foIlows Allama Ahmed Zaryooni states in his Sharah Qaseedah Burdah that Abu Jahl called upon his Yemeni friend Habib to assist him to stop the propagation of Islam. When Habib came to the sacred city of Makkah, Abu Jahl listed many complaints against the Holy Prophet Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam to him. In reply Habib said that he would discuss this with the Holy Prophet Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam He sent courier to inform the Holy Prophet. Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam that he has come from Yemen and is sitting with the leaders of the Quraish at a certain place, and that he wishes to see him. It was the fourteenth night. The moon was at its fullest. The Holy Prophet Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam responded to the call of Habib. The Yemenite asked: “Towards what are you inviting the people?” “Towards the Oneness of Allah and His Prophet”, was the reply. Habib then asked: “what miracle do you have?” “whatever you desire”, was the reply. “Of the miracles that I would like to see, the first is that you should split the moon in two, after which I would request the others”, said Habib. The Messenger of Allah Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam replied: “Come to the hill of Safa”. Habib, accompanied by all the leaders of the Quraish. followed the Holy Prophet Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam to the hill of Safa. There he pointed his blessed finger towards the moon and, lo and behold! The moon split into two, one half stayedon the one side of the hill and the other half on the other side: i.e. there was quite a distance between the two halves. The moon remained in this split condition for some time. for everyone to see. Thereafter, the Holy Prophet Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam again pointed to the moon and at once the two halves were joined into one. Then. the Holy Prophet Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam asked: “Oh Habib, what else do you want to see?” He replied: “Tell me what is in my heart’? The Holy Prophet Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam replied: “Oh Habib, you have a daughter who is cripple, deaf and dumb. Your wish is that either she be cured. if not, she should die. Go, she is cured, and I want you now to recite the Kalimah and accept Islam’. Habib, and many others present there accepted Islam. Seeing this, Abu Jahl burned with envy and said that this is witchcraft.
2. And if they see a miracle, they turn away their faces and say: “This is perpetual magic.
* This means that the previous Prophets, too, were accussed of having practised witchcraft, and the Holy Prophet salla allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam is being accussed the same. Yet, it is an absolute truism that the effect of witchcraft does not walk in the heavens. Also. that witchcraft is based on optical illusion and is bereft of any truth.
* This means these stubborm infidels failed to faith even after seeing this glorious miracle of splitting of the moon, calling it the work of witchcraft. Yet, many travelling to Makkah had testified that they had witnessed splitting of the moon on a certain night, Yet these infidels were stubborn that it was nothing but witchcraft, purely because of their selfish motives.
* This means those whom fate had decided that they would die on infidelity, would not accept Islam, no matter what miracles they see. Or, it means that without any shadow of a doubt. Islam will gain ascendancy over every faith. Its time of success is appointed. No mattcr what the infidels try to do they will not be able to alter this.
- Allah Almighty made the Holy Ka’bah as Qibla to fulfil the Holy Prophet’s Salla Allahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam desire (madinasharif.wordpress.com)
- The Blessings of the hands of the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) (madinasharif.wordpress.com)
- Penalty for Insulting the Beloved Prophet SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam (madinasharif.wordpress.com)