Having read the words of those who had lived with the Holy Prophet SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam and had closely watched his every action, we shall now turn to some great scholars of Islam, whose writings are considered most authentic in Islamic affairs. Pay heed to these to dispel any doubts that you may have regarding the subject. All these great scholars firmly believed that celebrating Mawlid Sharif of the Holy Prophet SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam is authentic and lawful.
..:: Sayings of the Great Scholars about Celebrating Mawlid? ::..
1. After relating Abu Lahab’s relief on setting Thuwaibha free, Hadrat Maulana Shah Abdul Haq Dehlvi in his famous book Madarijun Nabuwwat says:
“This event provides a clear proof to those who celebrate Milad Sharif by rejoicing and alms giving on the night of the birth of the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam), People of Makkah gather on 12th Rabi al-Awwal to is it the house in which the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) was born. Only because he was his nephew, he has been receiving, in spite of this being an idolater, the benefits of thus rejoicing in his grave every Monday, then how much more blessing will fall to the lot of him who acknowledges the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) as the beloved of ALLAH and His true Prophet, and celebrates Milad Sharif repeatedly.”[Madarij an-Nabuwwah, Vol. 2, Page 34, Publisher: Zia al-Quran Publication]
As the poet says:
Dostaan Ra Kujaa Kunee Mahroom
Tu Keh Ba Dushmanaan Nazar Daree
How would you (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) leave out friends?
You, who feel great compassion, even for your enemies.”
2. Due to the rejoicing he made at the birth of the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam), Imaam Qastalaani says:
“How would anyone of the Ummah the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) fare, who is a Muslim and is steadfast in his belief in the unity of Allah and rejoices at his (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) birth and who spends whatever he can afford for the love of him (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam)? I swear by my life, that Allah, out of His Grace, will not reward such a person but by entering him into the Gardens of Bliss.” [Mawahib al-Ladunniyah by Imam Qastalani, Vol. 1, Page 27, Published in Egypt]
3. Imaam Qastalaani further states:
“May ALLAH bless a person who celebrates ‘Eid’ on the nights of the blessed month of the holy birth of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam), so that it hurts them the most who have a serious disease in their hearts and who suffer from an incurable ailment on account of the blessed birth”. [Mawaahib-dunniyah by Imam Qastalani, Vol. 1, Page 27, Published in Egypt]
Oppositions would have now found the required word “Eid” in such an authentic book. If they do not agree with the writings of Imaam Qastalaani, then they should condemn their own leaders and scholars who have called this book the best and of great virtue.
4. Imaam Qastalaani further says that How blessed is the month in which the Prophet of ALLAH (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) was born! How very superior and sacred! How very respected the nights (of the month) as though they are pearls shining bright throughout the ages! How full of light and pure the face of the one born! How blessed the Being (ALLAH) who made the birth of the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) a springtime for the hearts and his (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) face a manifestation of splendor!
يقول لنا لسان الحال عنه
The tongue of the Prophet of ALLAH (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) Speaks the truth. And the thing is that the voice of truth appears to be sweet to the listener
وقول الحق يعذب السميع
And, O questioner! If you want to know about my attributes and my affairs, I would say this:
فوجهي والزمان وشهر وضعي
My face and my age and the month of my birth is springtime in the month of Rabi al-Awwal.
ربيع في ربيع في ربيع
He (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) has likened his blessed face to springtime in respect of blessed beauty and splendor and that his face blossomed in springtime in the month of Rabi al-Awwal.
Ref: Mawaahib al-Ladunniyah by Imam Qastalani, Vol. 1, Page 73, Published in Egypt
5. Imam Sharf al-Din al-Busairi, in chapter 4 of his Qasida Burda Sharif speaks of the birth of Rasoolullah SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam. The blessed day on which Rasoolullah SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam, was born is a praise worthy event. The birth of Rasoolullah SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam, illuminated the entire universe. Some miracles and incidents, which took place at the time of birth, are mentioned in this chapter. These were signs of the greatness of Rasoolullah SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam.
أبان مولده عن طيب عنصره
His birth distinctly showed his pure, good origin,
ياطيب مبتدإ منه ومختتم
Oh, the excellence, of his beginning and his end!
والجن تهتف والأنوار ساطعهٌ
And the jinn hailed and the lights shone,
والحق يظهر من معني ومن كلم
And the truth appeared from the meaning and its word.
Ref: Qasida Burda Sharif, Chapter 4 – Concerning the birth of Rasulullah SallAllahuAlayhi Wasallam, Couplet 1/7
6. Ibne Jauzi has devoted a whole book to Milad, which is called “Mawlid al-Uroos”. Allamah Ibne Jauzi says:
“And whosoever rejoices at the birth of our beloved Mustafa (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam), this rejoicing by him will turn the Fire away, and whosoever spends even a dirham on the occasion of the Milad of the Prophet of ALLAH, He (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) will intercede on his behalf and his intercession will be accepted”. [Mawlid al-Uroos, Page 9]
7. And, Ibne Jauzi has also written:
“O Milad of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam)! You are mightily praised, and the praise is such that it is the loftiest and the remembrance is such that it is the most excellent; how I wish the remembrance of the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) shall be with me for a long time! How I wish his (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) Milad shall be with me for a long time!” [Mawlid al-Uroos, Page 28]
8. In this regard, Shah Waliullah Dehlvi says:
“Following the ancient practice, I recite the Holy Qur’an and distribute food etc. Of the Niyaaz (Faatihah) of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) and made a public display of his blessed hair (Moo’e Muboarak). While reciting (the Holy Qur’aan), Mala’i A’la (Angels nearest to Allah) came to attend the Mahfil-e-Milad and the blessed soul of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) showed much kindness to me (Shah Waliullah) and my friends. I, thus, saw that Mala’i A ‘la (Angels nearest to Allah) and, with them, the whole group of Muslims, were ascending to high heaven (on account of the blessings of the Prophet) and this blessed condition was reflected (in the Mahfil-e-Milad).” [al-Qaul al-Jalee, Page 74]
9. Hadrat Shah Abd al-Haq Muhaddith Dehlvi (may Allah have mercy on him), in his book “Ma Sabata min as-Sunnah” referring to the night of the blessed birth, of the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) says:
“We would rather say that the night when the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) was born is definitely superior to Lailat al-Qadr. This is so because the night of the birth is the night when he was manifested and Lailat al Qadr was bestowed on him (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam), and a thing which became blessed on account of him upon whom it was bestowed is more blessed than that which became blessed because of it being conferred upon him (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) and because Lailat al-Qadr is blessed because on this night Angels descend, and the night of the birth of the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) is blessed because of himself (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam), and because Lailat al-Qadr is a blessing only for the Ummah of Muhammad (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) and the night of his blessed birth is a blessing for all beings. Thus the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) is he who Allah Ta’Aala sent down as a mercy to all the worlds and it is through him that Allah completed His blessings on all His creations in all heavens and in all earth.” [Ma Sabata Min as-Sunnah, Page 82, Published by Qaiyyumi Press, Kanpur, August 1923]
10. Those calling themselves followers of Shah Waliullah’s family should also note the following statement of Shah Waliullah Dehlvi. In his book, “Ad-Durr as-Sameen”, he says:
“My dear father, Hadrat Shah Abdur Raheem Dehlvi (may ALLAH have mercy on him) informed me that he used to get food cooked on Milad days as a mark of rejoicing for him (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam). One year it so happened that he could not afford anything except roasted grams, so he distributed those among the people, with the result that he had a vision of the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) in his dream and saw that those roasted grams were lying before him (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam) and he (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) looked pleased”. (Ad-Durr as-Sameen, Page 3)
11. Haji Imdadullah Muhajir Makki (may ALLAH have mercy on him) says:
“The practice of this faqeer has been that I participate in Milad Sharif functions. In view of the fact that doing so brings blessings, I myself hold Milad every year, and find great solace and joy in Qiyaam (reciting salutations in a standing position)”
1. Faislah Haft Mas’alah, page 5, published by Matba’ Majeedi, Kanpur, December, 1921
2. Faislah Haft Mas’alah Ma’a Taleeqat, page 111, published in Lahore.
3. Faislah Haft Mas’alah, page 5, published in Lahore 1986
12. In the fourth chapter of his book “Ad Durr al-Munazzam”, Mawlana Shaykh Abd al-Haq Muhaddith Allahabaadi has recorded in detail incidents which manifested themselves at the time when the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam) was born. These include:
“A cluster of stars concentrated over the roof of his house at the time of the birth of the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam); Angels hoisted flags on holy Baitullah and in the east and in the west; the whole atmosphere was filled with the voices of Angels and houres reciting salutations to him in the standing position and congratulating each other and rejoicing with abandon; animals also congratulated each other at the birth of the holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam), the Ka’batullah bowed in a manner of saluting, and the falsehood vanished and the light of truth spread light in all directions.”
1. Page 54, 72, 91; Mawaahib al-Ladunniyah by Imaam Qastalaani
2. Page 57; Mawlid al-Uroos by Imam Ibne Jauzi
3. Page 3, 7, 26, Shawahid an-Nubawwah by Mawlana Jaami
4. Page 55; Seerat al-Halbiyah by Allamah Ali Bin Burhaan
5. Khasaa’is al-Kubra by Imaam Suyooti Vol. l, Page 45, 94
6. Zarqaani ala al-Mawahib by Allamah Zurqaani Vol. 1, Page 112, 116.
13. Imam Abul Hussain Muahammad Bin Ahmad known as Ibn-e-Jabeer Andalusi writes,
“Place of Birth of Prophet Peace Be with Him is one of the Holy Places in Makkah Mukarramah. The soil of this place have an honor that it kissed the blessed body of Allah’s Beloved Peace Be with Him very first and this is the place where the Birth of Prophet Peace Be Upon Him took place who is the blessing for whole universe. In the Month of Rabi al-Awwal especially on the occasion of his Birth Day this place is open for all and sundry and people incessantly visits this place to attain Allah’s Mercy and blessing.” [Rehlah Ibn-e-Jabeer, Page 60]
14. Ibn Kathir has stated:
“Iblis cried loudly four times, first when Allah declared him as cursed, second when he was thrown out, Third when Prophet (SalAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) was born and fourth when Surah Fatiha was revealed.”
1. al-Bidayah wa al-Nihaayah, Vol. 2, Page 166
2. Shawaahid an-Nubuwwah by Mawlana Jaami, Page 51
15. Shaykh Muhammad Bin Alawi al-Maliki said:
“Holy Prophet Peace Be With Him due to importance of his Birthday use to avow it a great incident and use to pray to Allah Almighty as it was a great blessing for him also Sarkar have supremacy on everything in this universe because everything in this universe through HIS foundation got providential.” [Houl al-Ihtifaal bil Mawid an-Nabawi Ash-Sharif, Pg 8-9]
16. Hadrat Shah Ahmed Saeed Mujaddidi said:
“As Beloved Prophet used to say Salutations upon himself we too must celebrate Mawlid an-Nabi SallAllahu Alaihi Wasllam, Cook food and do other adulations and praise to Almighty Allah by other ways of delight.” [Isbaat al-Mawlid wa al-Qayam, Page 24]
17. Hadrat Shaykh Abd al-Haq Muhaddith Dehlvi used to pray:
“O Lord! I do not have such deeds that I can present in your mighty court. Wrongdoer influences all of my deeds. But there is an act of this Humbler just because of your mercy to present you and that is my Salutations on your Beloved Prophet Peace Be Upon Him that I use to offer with honesty and integrity standing in the blessed gatherings of Mawlid Sharif.” [Akhbar al-Akhyaar, Page 644]
18. Hadrat Shaykh Yousuf bin Ismail an-Nabhani said,
“Only Pagans and Non-Believers are against celebrating Mawlid an-Nabi SallAllahu Alaihi Wasallam.”[Jawahir al-Bihar by Allama Yusuf Nabhani]
19. A scholar stated that he was blessed with the vision of Holy Prophet Peace Be Upon Him. He asked, “Ya Rasool Allah SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam, Are you pleased about Muslims; who celebrate your birthday?” He replied “Those who love me; I love them too” [Tazkirat al-Wa’izeen, Page 200, Published from Maktaba Habibia – Quetta]
20. Ibn Kathir says regarding Shah Malik al-Muzzafar regarding whom Salafis spread deception by forging words of Ibn Kathir i.e. he was actually a Fasiq, cruel and Bidati ruler but in reality Ibn Kathir said:
“He was a generous, mighty master, and glorious ruler, whose works were very good. He built Jamiya al Muzaffari near Qasiyun … During Rabi al-Awwal he used to celebrate Mawlid Sharif with great celebration, Moreover, he was benevolent, brave, wise, a scholar, and just person. Shaykh Abul Khattab wrote a book on Mawlid an-Nabwi for him and named it At-Tanwir fi Mawlid al Bashir al Nazeer, for which he gave him 1000 dinars. His rule stayed till the Rule of Salahiya and he captured Aka and he remained a man worthy of respect.”
Al-Sabt mentions that a person attending the gathering of Mawlid held by Muzzafar said:
“He used to fill the table with 5000 well cooked goats, 10,000 chickens, 100-thousand bowls (of milk) and 30,000 trays of sweets.” [Tarikh Ibn Kathir, al Bidayah wa an-Nihaya, Vol. 13, Page 174]
21. Imam Shahab al-Din Abul Abbas al-Qastalani (Rahimuhullah) said:
When it is said that Prophet (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) was born at night time then the question arises which of the two nights is greater i.e. Night of Decree or Night of Prophet (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam)’s birth?
The Night of Prophet SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam birth is superior due to 3 reasons
First: He (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) arrived (in this world) on the Night of Mawlid whereas Night of decree was granted to him (afterwards), therefore the arrival of Prophet SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam is greater than what has been granted to him, hence night of Mawlid is higher in virtue.
Second: If Night of decree is vitreous night because Angels descend in it, then Night of Mawlid has the virtue of Prophet (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) being sent to world. The Prophet SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam is superior to Angels, therefore night of Mawlid becomes superior.
Third: Due to night of decree, the Ummah of Muhammad (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) was given imminence, whereas due to Night of Mawlid all creations were given Fadhilah (Superiority), as Prophet (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) is sent as Mercy to worlds/creations (Quran 21:107), hence the blessing was made general for all creations.
1. Imam Qastalani in al-Muwahib al-Laduniya, Vol. 1, Page 145
2. Imam Zarqani in his Sharah of Al-Muwahib, Vol. 1, Page 255/256
22. Imam Jalal al-Din Suyuti (Rahimuhullah) writes:
The reality of Mawlid is that people gather to recite Quran to the extent that is easy, also to discuss narrations which are regarding Prophet (SalAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam), the signs which took place on his birth. Then dinning is arranged for them and they return without adding anything more to this “Bidat al-Hasanah”. The one who arranges it gets Thawab due to honoring Prophet (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) and showing gratitude on his birth [Al Hawi lil Fatawi, Vol. 1, Page 292, Published by Maktaba al Athriya, Beirut – Lebanon]
23. Imam Jalal al-Din Suyuti (Rahimuhullah) answers why celebrating on birth supersedes the sorrow of Prophet (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) passing away on same date?
The birth of Prophet (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) is a great blessing for us and his death is very saddening for us too, however Shariah has ordered us to rejoice and thank Allah on blessings, whereas on calamity it has taught us to have patience while hiding it. Hence in light of rulings prescribed by Shariah one should rejoice in Rabi al-Awwal on birth of our beloved Prophet (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) [Al Hawi lil Fatawi, Vol. 1, Page 298, Published by Maktaba al Athariya, Beirut – Lebanon]
24. Imam Shams al-Din Dimishqi (Rahimuhullah) writes:
It is proven that Abu Lahab’s punishment of fire is reduced on every Monday because he rejoiced on brith of Prophet (SalAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) and freed the slave-woman Thuwaiba Radi ALLAHu Ta’ala Anha. When Abu Lahab, whose eternal abode is hell fire and regarding whom whole surah of Tabad Yada (i.e. Surah Lahab) was revealed, he gets Takhfif in his torment every Monday then Imagine the situation of a (momin) who has spent his life in rejoicing over birth of Prophet (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) and died as a Mawhid.
1. Mawrid as Sadi fi Mawlid al Hadi by Imam al-Dimishqi
2. Imam Suyuti in Hassan al-Maqsad fi Amal al-Mawlid, Page 66
25. The great Mufasir and Sufi, Hadrat Ismail al-Hiqqi (Rahimuhullah) said:
To celebrate Mawlid is amongst the great tributes to Prophet (SalAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam), but the condition is that it should be clear of evil things. Imam Suyuti has said: It is Mustahab for us to be happy on birth of Prophet (SalAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) [Tafsir Ruh al-Bayan, Vol. 9, Page 52]
All good is from Allah Ta’ala whereas mistakes are from this humble speck. May Allah Ta’ala bless all readers, bringing you all closer to Him and His Rasul SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam. May He accept our humble efforts and grant us the capacity to be good and do well… Ameen!!
— — —
“Nisar Teri Chehel Pehel Per Hazaaro Eiden Rabbi Ul Awwal
Siwae Iblees Ke Jahaan Main Sabhi Toh Kushiya Mana Rahe Hai”
May we be sacrificed at this Merriment O blessed month of Rabi’ al-Awwal!!
Your joys surpass thousands of ‘Eids; All in the world are rejoicing, except Shaytan
by Irfan Qadiri
- Miracles that took place at the time of Prophet sallallahu ta’ala’alayhi wa sallam’s Blessed Birth (madinasharif.wordpress.com)
- The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) is Noor-ul-Bashar (both Noor and Human) (madinasharif.wordpress.com)
- Imam Ahmed Raza Khan radi allahu anhu addresses a dis-respecter of the Prophet [sallAllahu alaihi wa sallam] on the issue of Ilm al Ghayb (madinasharif.wordpress.com)