1. For every day’s fasting, intention must be done before the time of “Zawaal” or (Nisf un Nahar Sharayee).
2. Intention for fasting need not be pronounced, only intention by heart is sufficient but it is better to pronounce the words. (Bahare Shari’at, part 5)
3. Eating by mistake does not break the fasting, putting oil in your hair or putting black powder in the eyes and entering a fly in the mouth or smoke or dust of flour do not break the fasting. Gargling the mouth and throwing out the water then swallowing the wetness in the mouth and entering water in the ear does not break the fasting. If you cough and swallow the spit of any quantity does not break the fasting. Nightfall and backbiting also does not break the fast although backbiting is a great sin. Similarly, if you are fasting but did not took bath after sex then it will not break the fast although to remain without bath (Ghusl) for whole day is Haraam. If your lips become wet with your saliva and are then swallowed, Fast will not break. (Bahare Shari’at, part 5)
4. If you were gargling, the water went inside without intention or the water went up inside the nose or putting oil in the ear or putting drops inside the nose breaks the fasting if you remember that you are fasting.
5. Intentionally mouthful of vomiting breaks the fast if you remember that you are fasting, if it is less than mouthful vomiting then fasting did not break.
6. If you vomitted unintentionally but if it is less than a mouthful, then fasting did not break but if it is mouthful and you swallowed it back, then it did break the fasting.
7. If tears entered in the mouth and if they are more than one or two drops and you felt the salty taste in the whole mouth then it did break the fasting.
8. If you spit on your hand and then swallow your spit or swallow somebody’s spit then it did break the fasting.
9. Drinking water or eating while sleeping breaks the fasting.
10. Kissing, touching and having sex with your wife leadinq to discharqe breaks the fasts.
11. Normally eating, drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco or beetle-leaves breaks the fasts if you remember that you are observing fast. (Bahare Shari’at, part 5)
12. To break the Ramadaan fasts intentionally is punishable by a fine. For breaking every Ramadaan fast intentionally – as a fine one has to keep 60 days continuous fasting. If it is not possible, then pay for the release of one slave for each fast. If this is not possible, then provide food for 60 poor men twice daily. (Qanoon-e-Shari’at, part 1)
13. Lying, backbiting, ugly words, dirty talking and giving trouble to others makes fasting Makrooh (less blessings). Collecting saliva in your mouth and then swallowing it also makes fasting Makrooh. Delay in Sehri (eating before daybreak) is permissible but delaying up to the point of daybreak is Makrooh. (Bahare Shari’at, part 5)
14. Cleaning your teeth with Miswak (a stick to dean the teeth) in fasting is not Makrooh. (Bahare Shari’at, part 5)