Zakaah is one of the five pillars of Islam. It has been mentioned, along with daily Prayers (Salaah), seventy times in the Qur’an. Allah’s Word commanding “… and establlsh regular Salaah and give regular Zakaah” are referred to in many parts of the Qur’an. From this we can conclude that after Salaah, Zakaah is the most important act in Islam.
The following are some verses from the Holy Qur’an and some Ahadith showing the importance and benefits of Zakaah.
1. “The parable of those who spend their wealth in the way of Allah is that of a grain of corn. It grows seven ears and each ear has hundred grains. Allah increases manifold to whom He pleases.” (al-Baqarah:261)
2. “By no means shall you attain righteousness unless you give (freely) of that which you love; and Allah knows well whatever you give”. (Aal-i-lmran: 92)
3. “And nothing do you spend in the least (in His cause) but He replaces it, for He is the Best of those who grant Sustenance.” (Sabaa: 39)
4. “And let not those who covetously withhold of the gifts, which Allah has given them of His Grace, think that it is good for them. No, it will be worse for them. Soon shall the things, which they covetously withheld, be tied to their necks like a twisted collar, on the Day of Judgment. To Allah belongs the heritage of the heavens and the earth. And Allah knows all that you do.” (Aal-i-lmran: 180)
5. “Of their good take alms, so that you might purify and sanctify them �” (Tauba: 103)